May 21, 1804 - Departing Saint Charles
"All the forepart of the Day arranging
our party and procureing the different articles necessary for
them at this place - set out half passed three oClock under
three Cheers from the gentlemen on the bank and proceeded on to
the head of the Island (which is situated on the Stbd Side) 3
miles Soon after we set out to day a hard wind from the W.
S.W accompanied with a hard rain, which lasted with short
intervales all night." Clark
May 22, 1804
"Delay one hour for 4 french men who got liberty to return to arrange some business they had forgotten in Town, at 6 oClock we proceeded on, passed several Small farms on the bank, and a large creek Called Bonom (bon homme) a camp of Kickapoos on the St. side Those Indians told me Several days ago that they would come on & hunt and by the time I got to their Camp they would have some provisions for us, we camped in a Bend at the Mo; of a small creek, soon after we came too the Indians arrived with 4 Deer as a present, for which we gave them two qts of whiskey-" Clark
May 23, 1804
"run on a log; under water and detained one hour proceeded on ... hatled at an endented part of a Rock which juted over the water, called by the french the tavern* which is a cave 40 yds. long with the river 4 feet Deep & about 20 feet high, this is a place the Indians & french pay omage to, many names are wrote up on the rock. Stoped about one mile above for Capt Lewis' who had assended the Clifts which is about at the said Cave 300 feet high, hanging over the water, and was near falling from a Peninsulia saved himself by the assistance of his Knife." Clark
the tavern* - Tavern Rock lies in present Franklin County, Missouri and probably took its name from its use as a rest stop for river travelers.
May 24, 1804
Set out early passed a small Isd in the Midlle of the river, opposit the on the Ldb. Side is projecting Rock of 1/2 a mile in extent against which the Current runs, this place is called the Devils race grounds*, above this Coms in a small Creek called the little quiver**, a Sand Island on the Stbd Side, passed several Islands & 2 creeks, on the Stbd Side*** a small Island on the Ldb Side above we were verry near losing our Boat in Toeing She struck the sands (which is continerly roaling) (&turned) the Violence of the Current was so great that the Toe roap Broke, the Boat turned Broadside, as the Current Washed the Sand from under her, She wheeled & lodged on the bank below as often as three times, before we got her in Deep water." Clark
Devils race grounds* - Perhaps what was later called Liffecue Rocks, in Franklin County just above the May 23, camp. The river has changed its course considerably over the years.
Creek called the little quiver** - Perhaps Fiddle Creek, just above Liffecue Rocks
several Islands & 2 creeks, on the Stbd Side*** - Probably Sehrt Creek and Bigelow Creek, just above present Augusta in St. Charles County, Missouri
May 25, 1804
"Set out early Course West ... Camped at the mouth of a Creek called River a Chauritte above a Small french Village* of 7 houses and as many families, Settled at this place to be convt. to hunt & trade with the Indians, here we met with Mr. Louisell** he gave us a good deel of information some letters*** he informed us that he saw no Indians on the river below the Poncas." Clark
Small french Village* - LaCharette, on Charette Creek, in Warren County, in 1804 the westernmost white settlement on the Missouri. French and American settlers had come there before 1800, and a small Spanish fort, San Juan del Misuri, was established about 1796. From the fort came the alternative name used by Patrick Gass, St. John. Daniel Boone moved there from Boone's Settlement sometime after 1804; he died and was buried there, but in 1845 his remains and those of his wife were moved to Kentucky. The village site, near present Marthasville, has been washed away by the Missouri.
Mr. Louisell** - Regis Loisel was apparently born in the Parish of L'Assomption, Montreal, and came to St. Louis in about 1793. By 1796 he had formed a partnership with Jacques Clamorgan, which in 1798 became the reorganized Missouri Company. After this combination broke up, he formed a new partnership with Hugh Heney on July 6, 1801. The date on which he founded his fort on Cedar Island is uncertain; it may have been in 1800, or perhaps two years later. For the post, in present Lyman County, South Dakota, September 22, 1804. Loisel wintered there with his partner, Pierre-Antoine Tabeau, in 1803 -04. After his meeting with Lewis and Clark, he carried to New Orleans a copy of his report on the Missouri River tribes, which he delivered to the Marquis of Casa Calvo, the former Spanish governor of Louisiana. The latter forwarded it to Madrid, with a recommendation that Loisel be made an Indian agent to secure the friendship of the tribes for Spain and forestall American ambitions in the West. Loisel, however, died in New Orleans in October 1804, at the age of thirty-one.
some letters*** - Perhaps letters of introduction to some of Loisel's trading associates, such as Heney and Tabeau, both of whom the captains would meet later up the Missouri.
May 26, 1804
"Set out after a heavy shour of rain
(George Drewyer & John Sheilds, Sent by Land with the two horses
with directions to proceed on one day & hunt the next)
passed several islands to day. camped on an Island on the
Starboard Side near the Southern extrem of Luter Island*"
Luter Island* - Opposite the town of Hermann, Missouri