Fort Randall Dam construction began in 1946.
The main features of Fort Randall Dam are the embankment, power plant, spillway and outlet
RANDALL MILITARY POST
Fort Randall Military Post, built in 1856 on the
south side of the river just below the dam, was established to keep peace on the frontier and served as a major
navigation link to the Missouri River.
The fort was abandoned in 1892, but the remains
of the old parade ground, excavations of foundations of buildings and the standing ruins
of the old chalkstone chapel are still visible.
Sitting Bull was a prisoner here for
a short time following his surrender in Canada.